Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Nicholas

Well turns out Nicholas's head ache are just going to be a normal part of his CP, after 14hrs in the emerg and one CT scan with dye later we were discharged with a "there is nothing that can be done, the attacks are too short so if you give him anything for it by the time it kicks in they will be gone already, the only thing you can really do is comfort him through them" HOW DEPRESSING? poor guy has been through a lot of pain lately between his legs and his head aches, Monday nights (3am) attack was the longest so far it lasted until 4:18am =( it really sucked the life out of him too he has had no energy at all since it. This scan was depressing though because with the dye the could actually see damage and even knowing he has some having a doctor come in and say "we can clearly see his brain damage but nothing worrisome that would be causing the pains" is rather depressing. It's the first time we've been told that they can see it =( I cried like a baby when we got home "brain damage" is not what I want to hear when it comes to my little guy...Cerebral Palsy was hard enough!

and hey we got some interesting letters from Gerber Life too, because Nicholas's legs don't work right he was denied and so was Matthew who is PERFECTLY HEALTHY! I knew Joey would be denied but he has diabetes and it's almost impossible to get him insurance lol not that I really wanted it but I did want the freebie they were giving away with their quotes. Turns out though if they deny you they don't give you one hahaha JERKS! I wrote about it on my blog if anyone wants to read it, though I did write about his cognitive abilities in my rant which might make some of you a tad upset since he is advanced in them so only read it if you want. (click his name above)

-Liz

4 comments:

* ~ *Jessica* ~ * said...

Hey Liz-- They denied Logen to. But, they did tell us that we could reapply at age 5. He was denied b/c of his CP
(obviously) Suprisingly, they approved Parker and he got the freebie insurance. I was shocked since he was a preemie and ended up in the NICU. I think they put the names in a hat and draw them out :P

SD said...

honestly I think that is what they do too lol Joey did have GL when he was little but after a few screw ups on their part I just up and letting it go (which I regret now!) but he was not completely healthy when we applied the first time for him and he still got insured, we just had to pay a bit more! But he had the birth defect, urethral stricture from the repairs, and refluxed into one kidney really badly and they still insured him then. Of course though now diabetes excludes him from a lot of insurance companies but still with all his issues compared to what Nicholas has you would think they would insure him wouldn't you? UGH I hate GL now lol I did actually get an amendment form in the mail today for Matthew though (a day after the refusal!) and have to complete the whole thing out and they said they "might" insure him but it all depends on what we write in on it lol jerks! I don't think I'm going to bother we'll just set up some good savings for the kids, the only thing I liked about GL (if it's still the same now) was they could take the money out and use it for college or university as well!

KPKoze said...

Liz- that SUCKS! It really seems like they should reevaluate their criteria. Especially that your third son is perfectly healthy!! Sheesh. I'm glad he's doing so well otherwise though :)
Kristi

Chrystie said...

Liz,

Blech. Both the headache and the life insurance situation BLOWS.

My first reaction after reading about Nicholas' headaches was to tell you to try for a second opinion. Any time I get an answer from a doctor that I'm not completely satisified with, I really try to pursue a second opinion, and I'm often shocked at what the second professional has to say. It is heart-wrenching to see your baby in pain, so don't stop trying just yet. I just sent up a prayer for wisdom, because I know that navigating this medical maze can be overwhelming and frustrating.

Do you or your DH get life insurance through work? Ellie is covered through my work policy, and since it's employer-based, there are no pre-existing conditions and she can't be denied. I'm sure you've pursued that option, but thought I'd at least mention it!

Hugs to you!

Where Are You?