Thursday, July 17, 2008

Hearing test

I posted this on NBBC also, but since most of us are not there anymore, I thought I would finally give the blog a try (I hope I do it right)! Addison had a sedated ABR (hearing test) on Mon. it was a such a mess, she would not go to sleep after they gave her the medicine to sedate her, they had to give her a second dose and she still fought me so hard to go to sleep. She ended up crying herself to sleep. I was convinced there would be no hearing loss, well I was wrong, she has mild to moderate loss in the left ear, it just broke my heart to hear this. Now we need to see the ENT and see what he says. We have been told she may need a hearing aid, and on the other hand we have been told that with just moderate loss in one ear she may not need anything, who do I believe? Anybody out there with experience with hearing loss/ hearing aids? She is only two and I really don't think that at this point she would keep one in. Any words of wisdom?

Kara

4 comments:

Popcorn House said...

No experience with this, but I want to say hugs to you hun! When something else comes youffind yourself thinking "ARGHHHH!, we don't need anything else to deal with!" Keep us posted.

Chrystie said...

Oh Kara. That sucks. I often wonder why we keep having to be dealing with these blows. As if cerebral palsy isn't enough--why are there so many other medical things associated with it?!

I don't have any words of wisdom or experienced advice either (the hearing test was the ONE thing that Ellie actually passed with flying colors, go figure). I *do* know, though, that you are an amazing mom, and Addison is an unbelievable little girl, and this won't stop either of you from growing more beautiful and awesome.

Hugs to you!

Anonymous said...

Hannah is deaf and before her cochlear implant she had hearing aids . I was shocked that they do stay in , let me know if you have and Qs
Trina

leah said...

Hearing aids aren't too hard to keep in (should she need them), and there are some great retaining devices out there! Sometimes they don't aid if the loss is unilateral and moderate, but usually a bilateral loss will be aided. Good luck- and hearing aids really do help a lot with language acquisition!

Where Are You?