Thursday, August 21, 2008

Quick Update on us

Hey all, sorry I've not updated in so long! Things have been incredibly hectic around here. We got Bri's first manual wheelchair finally, in July. It's a cute little Zippie Tilt & Space, a purple frame, with lavender and black upholstery, and her name embroidered in the back. Brianna LOVES sitting in it...she spends most of the day in it when she's at daycare.

Speaking of daycare...don't know if I had started working again last time I updated or not. But work is going well. I'm working providing residential care (cooking, cleaning, passing meds, helping with hygiene, etc) for developmentally disabled adults. It's a great job, with good benefits, and my clients are wonderful. Right now, I work Wed-Sun, from noon to 8:30pm, and from 1-9:30 on Saturdays. Wed, Thu, Fri, Brianna goes to daycare, and she loves it. The gal has worked with me on her rates, and is only charging me $300 a month for Brianna, since we receive an additional payment for her childcare through the Inclusive Childcare program. On the weekends, there's a 19 year old girl who comes into our home and watches Bri. Both caregivers are wonderful with Bri, and Doris, the DCP, has said I need to get a Mon-Fri job, so she can watch Bri five days a week :-D.

On Tuesday of this week, we enrolled Bri in preschool, finally. She starts at the school just down the street from me, on Sept. 8th, on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. In October, her IFSP is up for reevaluation, so if she is doing well going two days a week, we might increase to three days a week. I'm sure she'll do wonderfully. Me, on the other hand...well, that remains to be seen. I mean, it's not like she hasn't spent whole days away from me before. It's not like she hasn't been going to daycare consistently for the past several months. But this is SCHOOL! It's the next step in the life of a child! It means my baby is growing up! And I really don't know if I can handle that. Anyway, that's all for now!

9 comments:

Sheila said...

Hey Melinda! I've been wondering where you've been. You need to update your blog too (hint, hint). :)
Glad to hear things are going so well and I totally understand the school thing. I'm right there with ya. I hope it goes well.

Anonymous said...

Hey Melinda!!!
I've been "looking" for you too! No updates on your blog.....you had me worried, girl! But I guess that means that you are busy & life is moving right along. Your job sounds great & that's awesome you found wonderful care for Bri!!
Don't be a stranger around here, k?? I'll have to start stalking you...lol!! :)

ellen :) said...

Melinda,
That's awesome that things are going so well for the 2 of you! :) Sammy's starting preschool in Sept., too... school is a scary prospect, no matter what the circumstances!

Dawn said...

Melinda - So glad to hear that things are going so well!!! I'm ditto'ing the others don't be a stranger darn it!

Anonymous said...

Melinda, I'm glad to hear things are going so well. Avery is starting preschool in Sept too and I am freaking out about it. I wish I wouldn't have agreed to it because I am so stressed out about sending my non-mobile baby to school. Eeek!
Niki

KPKoze said...

Man, I've been thinking of you lately wondering how work and you and Bri were doing. I'm glad you're doing so well. That's great about her care, that is so relieving, isn't it??? Keep up on the posts :) I love hearing about you both :)
Kristi

Melinda said...

Thanks, ladies! :-D I'll try not to be so strange from now on. And as an added bonus, I'm updating my blog right now, complete with lots and lots of pics! So feel free to check it out :-D

Amy said...

Hey Melinda. I have been wondering about you too, and I am glad things are going well. I am glad to hear about the good job, the good helpers for little Miss Cutie Pie. I can't believe she is ready for school. Wow, they do grow so fast. HUGS Mommy!! I think schoold will be great for her and that she will do fabulously.

Kiera said...

Hi Melinda

Great to hear from you. The pictures on your blog are great! Brianna has the most beautiful smile :)

Where Are You?