Thursday, October 16, 2008

911 Call

Today has been interesting. Interesting. At 8:04am my phone rang- I missed the call b/c I was dropping Parker off at daycare. At 8:05am I was in the car heading towards my school and listening through 14 voice mails to get to the one Logen's school had just left me (if that tells you anything, I don't listen to voice mails very often)The lady had said Logen is in the nurses office and they've called 911. Please call them.I freak. 1st thing that comes to mind: Seizure. Bad one. Tears, why couldn't this have happened when he was near me?!I regain composure and call them back. She said he was on the school bus - and had been seizing for about 2 minutes before he even got to school. I can't remember if they had phoned ahead to warn them or not- whoever was there to take him took off running to the nurse's office. The nurse immediately gave him diastat (a form of valium administered rectally). This stopped the seizure. They called 911 and then me.I headed towards his school. Thankful I was still in town (well, the next town over- but my school is a good 40 minutes *atleast* from Logen's school). I turned on my flashers and drove like any paniced mother would.When I got there the paramedics asked if I wanted them to transport Logen or if I wanted to. I said them. He was still lethargic and really not even holding his own head up. There were several people in the nurses office with Logen. The nurse was holding him and his teacher was standing next to them. The assistant principle, office ladies, and 2 paramedics were there 2.We got in the ambulance and headed to the hospital. Logen's teacher drove my van to the hospital so I would have it there. I really thought he would have slept on that drive, but he didn't. He was so out of it. He would have been so excited if he had known he was riding in the back of an ambulance. The paramedic riding back there had been to the school the week before to show the fire truck off and remembered Logen. He said he loved it!When we got to the hospital Logen was still not totally with it. The Dr there called and spoke with his Neuro at the CP Center in St Louis. They said we did the right thing and decided to up his medicine again. He's up to 75mg of Zonegran/AM and 100mg/PM. He was checked over and besides the fact that he'd just had a severe seizure, he looked good. So he was discharged.We got home and he slept til about 1:30 this afternoon. He cried when he woke up, he tried to walk but was so wobbly. He ate a little oatmeal and was starting to get his normal color back.I spoke with the CP Cntr nurse this afternoon and she said she'd call me back in the AM about this. It's alarming to me that his seizures are getting worse. Today's seizure was classified as tonic-clonic. Logen has never had this kind before. Nor has he ever had one lasting over 2 minutes. I'm worried about this. Personally I think if they are getting worse- there must be something we are missing. How is it that seizures just pop up at 4.5 years old and become worse as you increase the preventative medicine? I'll post an update when I get one.The nurse called this afternoon to check on us. I also spoke to Logen's teacher (everybody wanted an update) She said when the bus got to the school this afternoon, they ladies had tears in there eyes-- they were so so worried about Logen.I am absolutely AMAZED with his school. So far, in every aspect they've gotten a A+.I missed class yesterday- Parker has a bilateral ear infection. One he's had for about a week we didn't know about. We got numbing ear drops- they looked horrible. He hadn't had a fever- just wasn't sleeping. He still doesn't have all of his front teeth in, I chalked it up to teething. Guess we won't do that again.

5 comments:

Kiera said...

Oh Jess! I had tears in my eyes as I read your post. I was so scared for you and for Logan. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Please keep us posted.

momtoablessing said...

OMG Jess I cried reading this one of our biggest fears is Audrianna having a seizure on the bus on the way to school or at school where its so bad they have to call 911. The school was very prepared for logen. Auds neuro had a nurse go to her school to show Auds teachers and therapists what to do if Audrianna is to have a bad seizure and how to administer diastat if needed Audriannas seziures always last a good 2-3 minitues Shes only needed the diastat once tho and the other time her seizure was an hr long and the hospital since we were already there gave her valium. because a time before that the diastat did not work at all. I will be praying for Logen keep us posted.

Amy said...

Oh Jess. Poor Logen and poor you!! I hate seizures. One things that I have learned is that sometimes an increase in seizures can mean some new connections in the brain. Maybe a new, big skill is on the way or emerging. I know that has been true with Emma lately. She is more talkative after them--well I mean for Emma. I will pray for Logen and be thinking about you. I know how dang frightening this all is for you. I am glad to hera that the school acted so professionally. They did well, and that has to make you feel confident in them. Have you ever considered a ketogenic diet? I do a modified one on my own. The doctors know about it, and it has helped Emma a lot. I give her high fat and protein and I watch starchy carbs and sugar in her diet. I also watch the salt. It has really helped her a lot. We have been nearly seizure free until recently. That is because I have been not watching her diet well. Like she at too much birthday cake this week. She had a longer one this morning. Just a thought to throw out there.

ellen :) said...

Sorry to hear about this, Jess... I am so glad the school is on the ball! Thank goodness! I will pray for you guys... Like i said before, Sammy is on 100 mg. 2x a day and he's only 3 1/2, so don't be scared about them going up with Logen's meds. I pray that it helps!

* ~ *Jessica* ~ * said...

Amy- We have not looked into diet change. Our diet is already limited b/c of Parker's dairy allergy. Now, I'm thinking we should just starve. Lol That's been a hard adjustment to make! Please email me about it! jklduncan@yahoo.com

We are thrilled that Logen's school has been so on the ball. It's been wonderful and comforting. This week has been pretty good. He's having about 1-2 seizures a day. He's really had a 'rough' behavior this week. Listening has been hard!

Where Are You?